Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Back from Hiatus

I was getting frustrated with sharing my thoughts and observations, as I felt I was seeing the same things year to year.

However, each day there truly is something (or a few somethings) that I see that that makes my head buzz with either shock or awe. I don't think that most people outside of the education world really know what goes on inside school walls, and as it is "public" education, that it should be made more public. Hence my original idea for the blog title.

If I can be one small voice in expressing what really goes on in a large urban district, then despite my frustrations, I feel like I might as well keep on sharing. Whether it is for simple awareness, or to hope on a larger scale for political change in education, truth is needed.

So, I am going to make a real effort to share more of my experiences in Philadelphia high schools. In the meantime, starting again today, I will re-commit to my daily "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" on Twitter.

And as an afterthought...some statistics I just learned in a course I'm taking. Just some mind candy for y'all.

58% - the graduation rate of Special Ed. Students
5% -  how many in our nation's adult population are ex Special Ed. Students
50% - how many in the prison population are ex Special Ed. Students

The professor said, "Our traditional special education model is fatally flawed."

And as an after, after thought...perhaps a homework assignment... Find any research at all that shows that summer school helps to close an achievement gap or brings struggling students closer to grade level success. Please share if you find it. I doubt you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment