Thursday, March 7, 2013

Say what you mean...

....and mean what you say.

I've used this line so many times in life, and want to scream it at both arguing sides of the school district right now.

Everyone thinks it's a game, that in the first proposal they are going way too far, in realization that after negotiations, much less will become the reality.

I am not naive, and realize this is how politics works, but for lack of better word, this is just stupid.

They are talking about people's lives when they throw these numbers out there. Speaking as a single mom, I'm freaked out by the possibility of a 13% pay cut, plus needing to pay for benefits.

(And this is aside from all the other, non-financial ideas, which I'll opine on later when I have time to cool down a bit.)

Clearly, a major effort is being made to push many of the close-to-retirement teachers over the edge, and choose to leave. Well, basic psych 101, how about offering some incentives for that to happen (that will still ultimately save the district money as high-salaried employees make exodus), as opposed to making them scared and angry?

I realize that we are in a financial MESS as a district, and I am actually all for the closing and consolidation of schools. I work at many that will be affected, and though there will be challenges due to these moves, it is much needed. We do not need to keep open buildings that are at 60% occupancy.

However, let's let that play out first. Let's see how much money that saves, see how that impacts teachers and students, and THEN, next year, work with any major changes to the contract.

As a starting point though, can we please be honest and treat each other with respect? It is really frustrating that public education looks so ugly every few years when contract time rolls around. We are teaching students, in a city, where not all that many people would be willing to come teach. Let's make it so that we don't lose quality professionals to educate today's youth.






1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    My name is Natali Cortes, and I'm an undergraduate student at Swarthmore College writing my senior thesis on teacher autonomy. I'm writing to see if I may either interview you or have you post my small recruiting blurb on your blog, as I think your readership might be interested in participating in this project.

    Here is my recruiting advertisement:

    Are you a K-12 public school teacher familiar with or practicing critical or culturally relevant pedagogy (CRP)? If so, I would love to talk to you! I’m an undergrad writing a thesis on teacher autonomy, and am interested in hearing how K-12 teachers conceptualize of their practice. If you would like to be interviewed for this project, please fill out this form (http://bit.ly/10kY1ZR) to sign up for a one-hour interview, or contact Natali Cortes with any questions at ncortes1@swarthmore.edu. Your participation is very much appreciated!


    If this is something you are interested in, you can sign up using the form (http://bit.ly/10kY1ZR), or email me back with any questions. Thank you, and please feel free to pass on this message to any other groups or individuals you think might be interested!

    Best,
    Natali Cortes

    ReplyDelete